We at iCumulus are very pleased with the heightened awareness of the term People Based Marketing.
To us it is a term we have been using for 20 years.
In fact – it was in May of 1999 reading the book “Permission Marketing” from Seth Godin that launched my career in digital during the same year.
I joined a company call Persona – funded by a dotcom darling LibertyOne.
This company was way ahead of it’s time back then – unfortunately – they are no longer around. However, just as they did, we have been promoting and fine tuning the benefits of 1 to 1 marketing to this very day.
People Based Marketing – for lead generation is where I will focus the attention for this blog.
Today the forecast from zenith media via their annual prediction report is that 65% of all digital media will be booked programmatically by 2019 and reaching USD$54bn!!!
We think that feels right even for the Australian market proportionally – it makes sense in many ways although it feels the major success story is the efficiency that display media can be booked through exchanges over IO based. In terms of the success or outcomes for the campaigns that’s another story. In fact as a digital agency who’s focus is performance only campaigns we find media on a CPM basis is very difficult to back out for our performance clients. There are always exceptions to this rule however the real news is that we have found great success within our People Based Marketing strategies
To us People Based Marketing is targeting via an email address over browser cookies. It is something we have offered since 1999 and it is not a surprise that email marketing is making a comeback and going from strength to strength. While a lot has changed in the market over the past 20 years – below is how we do People Based Marketing today.
“Most consumers use the one email address for social logins as they do for signing up to email offers and newsletters”
It is extremely hard to find great researched stats to quote, as a result we use that facts from friends and family to help support the theories. At the end of the day – as a Performance Agency we only get paid when we deliver results. The GREAT news is that we have a great team that do this for our clients.
This email address is NOT changing over time as social login is a multiple times a day event – this in turn means it is recent and active
It is this email address that will become the key way to target consumers online across multiple channels. The profile behind the email address is the most important to the success of the campaign
Even Millennials are now checking their email accounts! The chances of changing their email addresses is very slim due to fear of missing out.
Our mobile number is not changing!!!!
Even more true than the email address is the fact that we are all keeping our mobile numbers. In terms of mobile we regularly see that over 60% of opens of email campaigns are via the mobile device
Methods for People Based targeting:
- Email campaigns – Targeting profiles of consumers
Profiles of the email addresses are built at the time of registration.
- Profiles – there are multiple methods of consumers joining databases and some are more focused on marketing to members than others – the most detailed profiles are offered by
- Online Survey databases – a member if self declaring their interest by answering a series of profile and interest question each requiring a response
- Post transaction – following the purchase of a website consumers are offered a series of questions
- Free wifi – users may be required to register requesting basic profile questions such as post code
- Content unlocking – such as news sites offer access to normally subscription based
- Newsletter – generally singular interest only such as Travel, or shopping
Profiles are built against the email address based on behaviour and will grow as matching technology can keep up with the ability to work across multiple database structures. As user log into their browsers this creates the device independent environment as it is targeting the user behind the email and the corresponding profile
Permissioned – The optin layer is significant, this means when joining a database the user has agreed to receive ongoing marketing. I won’t go into the very significant layers of compliance beyond stating the 2 most critical elements in Australia being the Spam Act of 2003 and the Australian Privacy Principles pertaining to the Privacy Act 1985
For iCumulus each database is verified to be compliant and publishers warrant to the fact by our Terms of Business. This is a process we check initially with every publisher and regularly audit. As is the delivery of the messaging
- Solus EDM – only advertising message to user
- CPM – Pay per email sent
- Advantages – control – targeting and broadcast can be determined by advertiser
- Disadvantages – CPM are high average $200 need to ensure other measures are in place to ensure opens
- CPC – pay only after a user engages with the ad
- Advantages – minimise wastage avoiding low open rates and delivery
- Disadvantages – less control on targeting, although the targeting must be accurate to maximise response rates
- CPL – Only pay when an action on clients website – Quote or contact form are most common
- CPM – Pay per email sent
- Banner display style standard web page sizes
- Advantages – slightly better CTR than webpages as newsletter delivered to inbox not relying on web page vists. Native ads recenlty available
- Disadvantage – lost in content, bottom of page, multiple ads per send
- Banner display style standard web page sizes
- Collecting email addresses for Brands:
Whilst email advertising is a very strong collecting the data for a brand provides the additional retargeting options across a range of mediums still in the lead generation phase.
Methods for collecting email addresses:
- 1st Party
- Run a competition – make it an item just out of reach of the day to day – overseas holiday, cash, latest gadget
- Exclusive offer – make the user feel they need to join
- 3rd party – collected via 3rd party validated and delivered via API
- Wifi Sponsorship
- Post transaction
Retargeting – Email address can be used in:
- Facebook – Custom Audiences – display retargeting
- B2B – Linkedin Matched Audiences
- Google – Customer match
- Gmail ads
- Search network
- How it works:
Let’s say you want to advertise a new loyalty program to your existing customers Google ads. Here’s how it works:
- You upload a data file of contact information your customers have given you
- You create or update a campaign to target your Custom Match audience – the data file you uploaded
- When the users are signed into their Google Account, they see your ads as they use Google Search, YouTube and Gmail
For more information about how Google uses the data files that you upload for Customer Match and how the matching process works, read How Google uses Customer Match data.
- Sequenced Email campaigns designed to present the offers and with a series of reminders or alternative actions, campaigns are pre programmed using sequencing based on time and actions
- AI chat bots – More advanced usage of the data, conversation contact with the prospect designed to entice a reply or response. Via email the AI uses NLP to decide the next action and guide the “conversation”One user case is to engage with the prospect
My next post will post will cover the email address within the CRM environment – till then send us you briefs so we can showcase the power and results of People Based Marketing.